UNREAL | SAMURAI

July 17, 2020

I set out to refine a character workflow for Unreal Engine 4. I wanted to make as much as I could from scratch using Blender, Zbrush, Substance Painter, and Quixel. The few things that are adapted from another project are the teeth, gums/tongue, and the eyes, which are from the Digital Human project for Unreal. For the hair, I used the new Niagara particle groom system. Coming from Blender it was a huge hassle getting it working properly and it tanked the framerate but the quality is unmatched compared to hair cards.

In the character blueprint, I also added some random eye movement and random blinking which gave some life to the character. I also simulated the paldrons, hip armor, tassles of the swords, and the neck armor with physics bodies and set up radial forces in the character blueprint to appear like they were blowing in the wind. Lastly I rigged the character in Blender with Rigify and then exported him with original bone rolls set to UE4 so he actually uses the Mannequin’s skeleton.

PROGRESS

Reference of my friend

High-poly Model

Look Development

Texturing Progress

Blender Rig